In the mood for a quick dinner? How about the ever-adaptable tacos? You only need a handful of ingredients, some of which you probably already have in the fridge or pantry, and about 30 minutes to whip up a tasty meal. Below, we provide you with our favorite vegetarian tacos, with sweet potato and a fried egg bulking things up in the absence of meat. Follow our guide to create some great tacos tonight:
1) Preheat the oven to 400F. Cut 2 sweet potatoes into small cubes. Toss them with some olive oil and cumin, then spread them on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until they’re tender, stirring once during baking.
2) While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare guacamole: mash 1-2 avocadoes with lime juice, 1 clove of minced garlic, minced cilantro, 1 diced tomato, and a pinch of salt.
3) Chop or slice thinly ½ head of cabbage or some crispy lettuce (like iceberg).
4) Grate some cheddar cheese.
5) Chop 1-2 tomatoes.
6) Once the sweet potatoes are done, put all the toppings out on the dinner table. Warm up some tortillas and fry an egg. Stack away and enjoy!
Remember that this is less a “recipe” and more a grounds for experimentation. Feel free to add or subtract toppings to your taste. Sour cream and refried beans are also common taco toppings. If you’re a meat lover, sauté some ground beef or diced chicken pieces with tomato puree and chili powder. We like to gather as many different colors as possible – just “for the fun of it”!